I always have been fascinated by photography.
But with the introduction of the digital camera it all became too easy, too predictable …to me.
So I forced myself to go back to the roots of real analog photography.
Not just by making the photograph itself, but by controlling the entire photographic process.

This brought me back to the middle of the 19th century, to the amazing Collodion wet plate process.
And every single day I feel challenged to refine and improve myself.


For my website please visit : www.alextimmermans.com

Alex Timmermans
Holland


"You don't take a picture, it's given to you"

woensdag 8 januari 2014

Mounting a lens without a matching flange.

As you might know I love to use old petzval lenses for my photography.
Lenses with a beautiful history and  most of the time more than 140-150 year old.
Unfortunately many of those lenses are offered without the matching flange.
Finding a matching flange is like seeking for a needle in a haystack.
In other words, you won't find it.
So you will have to look for a machinery shop and ask if they are able to make you one.
I can tell you, they will cost a lot of money.
 
A much easier and perfect solution is shown in the pictures underneath.
Just cut a hole in a lens plate using a jig saw.
DON'T try to cut it at the exact size, that won't work.
Most likely you will cut it to big!
So make it slightly smaller and take of the rest of the wood using a simple file.
When done, just use the thread of the lens to screw it into the wood.
Don't force it, otherwise you will crack you nice wooden lens plate.
When mounting a petzval, please make sure toy slide the sleeve of the lens all towards the front.
Now wrap a small piece of rubber around it and use a tyrap to secure the rubber.
(if you don't have a flat piece of rubber, just use an old inner tube of your bicycle....)
 
For big , more heavier lenses better use a hose clamp.






1 opmerking: